Dr. Anin Sethi
Eye Health Tips in Hindi(आँखों की देखभाल के तरीके)
In this video our expert Ophthalmologist Dr. Anin Sethi will talk about the eye health tips(आँखों की देखभाल के तरीके).
How to keep your eyes Healthy?
Below are the following eye health tips according to our expert Ophthalmologist.
- Eat healthily: The first thing is a healthy diet. Include colorful fruits. They have essential vitamins that our eyes need to be healthy.
- Lose weight: The second thing is to maintain one’s body weight. It is seen that being overweight puts you at risk of getting diabetes or BP, which in turn can affect your eyes.
- Healthy lifestyle: The third thing is leading a healthy lifestyle. Exercise regularly to maintain your normal blood pressure. And it will also prevent diseases like BP or diabetes.
- Use sunglasses: The fourth thing is to wear sunglasses while in the sun. Exposing your eyes to direct sunlight can be harmful. The UV rays from the sun can cause cataracts and can cause surface abnormalities. It can also cause harm to the retina. But make sure you wear sunglasses with genuine UV protective glasses.
- Wear protective eyewear: Wear your protective eyewear if you are in some contact sports or a handyman and have to work with welding and grinding. These jobs require proper eye protection, and the small particles can hurt your eyes. Therefore protective eyewear is suggested. Let’s talk about other lifestyle changes now.
- Smoking: Smoking causes age-related changes like macular degeneration in your retina. So you should completely avoid smoking.
- Genetics: You should know about your family history. If you have a history of glaucoma or cataract in your family, you should start getting regular checkups after 20. We all know cataract is a silent killer, so it is very important to be updated about your eyes. So if you have a family history of any eye disease, you should get your eye checked periodically. If your family has cases of BP, diabetes, or hypertension, you should get a checkup for this.
- Age: If you are above the age of 40, regular eye checkups should be necessary.
- Contact lenses: People who wear contact lenses should maintain their hand hygiene. Wash your hand before removing and putting on your lenses. Store your contact lenses in the solution. Do not overuse your lenses. Do not use the monthly disposable lenses over 30 days. If instructed to use it only for 6-8 hours, use it accordingly. Avoid using lenses overnight.
- Electronic gadgets: People who work on computers and laptops should adjust their brightness according to what is comfortable to their vision. You can also use the night mode that most laptops have. They make the colors on the screen a little warmer which puts less pressure on your eyes.
If working on your laptop gives you a headache, then every 30-40 mins you should focus on something, 6-7 m far, for 10-15 secs. This would relax the tensed muscles in your eyes. You can close your eyes after every 2 hours for 5 minutes if possible. And keep in mind to not sit directly in front of the AC or the heater. Keeping all this in mind, we can take care of your eyes.
What are the vitamins and minerals essential for eye health? / आंखों के लिए कौन सा विटामिन जरूरी है?
It is common knowledge that vitamin A is very good for the eyes. It is because the pigment for the light in the retina is derived from vitamin A. And it also helps keep the surface of the eye healthy. Vitamin A deficiency is not that common because the government has taken measures that pregnant women or newborns should be provided with the dosage of vitamin A. Other vitamins promote eye health, like vitamins B6, B9, B12. These three vitamins are antioxidants and keep the eyes healthy. These vitamins slow the changes that occur due to growing age. Vitamin B12 regulates homocysteine levels in the blood. Raised levels of Homocysteine can cause problems in the retina. Therefore, you should take vitamin b12 adequately. Vitamin B12 deficiency can be met in a non-vegetarian diet. But in a vegetarian diet, one should take vitamin B12 supplements.
And other types of vitamin b like niacin, B1 also called thiamine, both act as antioxidants. They slow the development of cataracts. Now coming to vitamin C and E. These are antioxidants as well, so they slow age-related changes. The structure of the eye, the white part of the eye, is made of collagen. And Vitamin C and E help build collagen in the body. So they help keep the surface of your eyes healthy.
Lutein and zeaxanthin
Lutein and zeaxanthin are pigments found in fruits or colorful vegetables. Including these in your diet helps with age-related macular degeneration. These are available in various formulations and supplements.
Omega-3 fatty acids
There are glands in the eyes that produce oil. This fat or oil creates a protective layer over the eye, which prevents dryness. So omega-3 fatty acid is helpful for patients who suffer from dry eyes. The omega-3 fatty acid can also be found in the veins in the eyes, and generally, it promotes eye health. So these are the vitamins that are helpful for eye health. I hope this was helpful for you. Thank you.